Book Tickets Online
Please note, the Charles Dickens' Birthplace Museum is currently only taking private bookings on certain dates. This is because the home is too small to allow safe social distancing, so all visitors must be from the same household. See the website for full details and dates when you can book a visit.
Pay a visit to the small terraced house where, in 1812, the famous novelist Charles Dickens was born. The home in which he lived for a short time has been lovingly restored and furnished to illustrate middle-class tastes of Dickens' era.
The furniture, ceramics, glass, household objects and decorations faithfully recreate the Regency style which Charles's parents would have favoured, although their actual possessions have long since been dispersed.
There are three furnished rooms: the parlour, the dining room and the bedroom where Charles was born. The exhibition room features a display on Charles Dickens and Portsmouth, as well as a small collection of memorabilia. This includes the couch on which he died at his house in Kent, his snuff box, inkwell, and paper knife - poignant reminders of an author celebrated for his prodigious talents and creative output.
Volunteers will be in costume every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month and The Dickens Fellowship provide readings at 3pm on the first Sunday of every month. Please contact the museum prior to visiting to confirm these events are taking place.
Use the weblink above to access the museum's website for futher information.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.40 per ticket|
|Child||£3.40 per ticket|
|Educational groups (school, college & university)||£2.25 per ticket|
|Group price adult||£3.40 per ticket|
|Group price child||£2.25 per ticket|
|Group price senior citizen (60+)||£2.90 per ticket|
|Leisure Card holders||£3.40 per ticket|
|Senior citizen (60+)||£3.90 per ticket|
|Student with valid ID||£3.40 per ticket|
Free entry to Portsmouth residents with a valid Library Card.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Accessible parking close by. Historic building - access for less ambulent is limited. Virtual tour available to buy on DVD.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Gift shop
- Groups welcome
- Licensed for weddings & ceremonies - Licensed as a venue for civil ceremonies. The museum will be closed to accommodate any bookings and the group size is small - only 19.
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- On site parking close by
- Parking (charge)
- Railway station within walking distance
- Approx length of visit - 30-45 minutes
- Groups Accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 15 (to achieve group rates)
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - Groups of 15 ot more can visit from Nov-Mar if booked two weeks in advance.
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Bengali printed material
- Cantonese printed material
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Hindi printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Literature in Dutch
- Literature in French
- Literature in German
- Literature in Italian
- Literature in Japanese
- Literature in Spanish
- Russian printed material
- Spanish printed material
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Educational Groups
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Most suitable for Key Stages 1, 2 and 3.