Explosion Museum is an award winning museum of Naval Warfare created within 18th century buildings at the Royal Navy’s former armaments depot of Priddy’s Hard in Gosport Hampshire.
The Museum is housed in a group of listed buildings which is centred around the original powder magazine of 1771. These sit on the edge of a delightful camber basin on the western shore of Portsmouth Harbour, with views across to Portchester Castle, Whale Island and the Naval Base. Explosion traces the development of naval armaments from gunpowder to the Exocet missile.
The displays explore the 18th century origins of Priddy’s Hard, its historic buildings and earthworks, bringing alive the site’s rich history. There is a fascinating social history as well. This includes the story of how 2500 women worked on the site during its peak in World War 2. It describes the role that Priddy’s Hard played in naval operations worldwide for over 200 years, as well as its importance to the local Gosport Community, which not only armed the navy but fed and watered it as well.
Explosion Museum is licensed for wedding ceremonies, receptions and civil partnerships, which take place in The Grand Magazine, a stunning setting of 18th century brickwork, high vaulted ceilings and wooden floors. Follow this up with welcome drinks and photographs on our Camber Basin, a scheduled ancient monument in its own right, or through the museum galleries and everyone will take away memories and photos that will last forever.
Explosion Museum, The Grand Magazine, The Conference Hall and The Boardroom is set on one level with disabled access throughout. There is free onsite car parking and access to the museum by waterbus from Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. The café onsite is available for everyone, not just museum visitors and is a beautiful place to sit by the water with a cream tea and watch the boats and ships go by. The café can also be used for small birthday lunches, children’s birthday lunches or afternoon tea and evening birthday parties as well. The maximum capacity is 60 people.
The Grand Magazine has a maximum capacity of 200 people standing or seated theatre style. This is perfect for shows, concerts, drinks receptions and exhibitions. We can also host dinners and proms in The Grand Magazine with space for up to 150 people to be seated in a banquet style as well as having plenty of room for entertainment, a dance floor and bar area.
Our Conference Hall is ideal for presentations, AGMs, conferences, art exhibitions, birthday parties and meetings on a large scale. It has a maximum capacity of 140 people and is beautifully set right on the water’s edge.
The Boardroom is available for smaller meetings and training sessions for around 10-15 people although the room has a capacity of 35 people if it is set in a theatre style. This room has views across our museum green and is situated across from the museum entrance. Access to the museum galleries may be made available for bookings made in the Boardroom and conference hall.
Training days, away days, lectures, seminars and conferences can all be given a different edge at Explosion!
During the day we can offer a conference suite that includes a Conference Hall for up to 140 people and a break-out Meeting Room for up to 30 delegates.
The Conference Hall can also be divided into two separate rooms should you require it. Refreshments and lunches can be served in our conference suite or in our waterside coffee shop with beautiful views across Portsmouth Harbour.
Technical Facilities available: WiFi, Ceiling mounted LCD projector (XGA/2000 lumens), 8ft motorised screen, Video player, DVD player, audio system including CD and cassette, induction loop amplifier, handheld/radio microphone, single module lectern with light and microphone, touch-panel remote control for all equipment, PC/Powerpoint compatibility, full internet access, flatbed OHP (2500 lumens), electronic blinds (Conference Halls B and C can be operated separately), dimmer controlled lighting (Conference Halls B and C can be operated separately) and a rail mounted screen, flipchart and whiteboard (Conference Halls A and B).
We can cater for a wide array of events and functions including the following: conferences, awards ceremonies, meetings, exhibitions, art exhibitions, lunch parties, dinners, birthday parties, Christmas parties, wedding anniversaries, craft fairs, baby naming ceremonies, ladies nights, dance evenings, AGMs, paranormal investigations, sleepovers, school group visits, book signings, lectures, filming on location, photoshoots, film showings, wakes, funeral receptions and private ‘behind the scenes’ tours.
With a dedicated events team onsite we can offer advice on a variety of services from catering and decorations, to masters of ceremonies, musicians and entertainment or even organise your entire event.
If you would like more information or to come and view the Grand Magazine, Conference Hall or Boardroom please contact Siobhan Eyley, the events manager on email@example.com or call 02392 505600.
Events and Functions can take place 363 days a year (closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day) timings to be agreed specific to each event.
- Accessible Lift - Venue all on one level
- Disabled Parking - Available near the Conference Hall and the main museum
- Disabled persons toilet - Two in the museum and one in the conference hall
- Induction Loop System - Available in the conference hall and at the front desk of the museum
- No dogs (Guide dogs accepted) - Dogs are allowed on the camber and the museum green, not inside unless guide dogs
- Wheelchair user accessible - All on one level or with ramp access
- Cafe - Indoor and waterside seating
- Catering Provided - Café provides lunch and delegate refreshments
- Full liquor licence
- Kitchen Facilities
- Lunch available, table service
- Outdoor eating area
- Permits Clients own Caterers
- Refreshments Available
- Serve Breakfast
- Serve lunch
- Special diets catered for
- Vegetarians catered for
Children & Infants
- Children's Meals
- Accessibility for Unloading - At all entrances
- Air conditioning throughout - In the Grand Magazine
- Back Screen Projection all rooms
- Bring your own drink (corkage charge)
- Computer Projection
- Dance Floor
- Desks / Tables
- DVD available
- Flipcharts Available
- Garden / Grounds for visitors use
- In House Audio Visual Technicians
- LGBT Friendly
- Licensed for alcohol
- Licensed for weddings & ceremonies
- Marquee Space Available
- Meeting rooms
- Natural Daylight
- No Pets
- No smoking in dining area
- Open all year round
- Open New Year - For The Grand Magazine function bookings
- Open on bank holidays
- Overhead Projector
- Permit external audio visual technicians
- Projection Screen
- Smokers welcome - Smoking area available outside
- Wireless Internet Access
- Wooden Floor
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Free parking - Free parking onsite and overflow parking for large events
- Off-road parking
- On Site Car Parking
- On site parking close by
- Railway station within 5 miles - Portsmouth Harbour
- Railway station within walking distance - Portsmouth Harbour. Ferry and 25 minute walk.
- Secure cycle parking - Unavailable, but railings available to lock bikes to
- Countryside Setting - It is in Gosport but has a museum green and the museum is based on the edge of Portsmouth Harbour with views across to Portchester castle, Whale Island and Portsmouth Dockyard
- Some no smoking areas - All buildings are non-smoking, non-smoking outside areas can be arranged