|Adult||£10.00 per ticket|
|Child (5-17) and student||£5.00 per ticket|
|Family (2 + 3)||£25.00 per ticket|
|Senior||£8.00 per ticket|
For more ticketing information, visit: http://theddaystory.com/plan-your-visit/tickets/
The D-Day Story is the only museum in the UK dedicated to the Allied Invasion in June 1944. It tells the unique personal stories behind this epic event.
Following a £5 million transformation project - with thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund - the museum has now been transformed, to provide an engaging insight into the lives of those who took part in D-Day, whether they were individuals on the shore in Portsmouth, or those who went over to Normandy.
The museum contains many exhibits not previously displayed to the public, in refurbished galleries that feature the words and perspectives of those involved - from both a military and a civilian viewpoint. There are also spaces for learning, events and interactive displays.
The museum's unique and dramatic film show uses archive film to bring back memories of the wartime years. There are also extensive displays featuring maps; uniforms and other memorabilia; several vehicles and even a real LCVP landing craft.
At the centre of the museum sits the Overlord Embroidery, which was commissioned by Lord Dulverton of Batsford (1915-92) as a tribute to the sacrifice and heroism of those men and women who took part in Operation Overlord. The embroidery is 272 feet (83 metres) in length, and is the largest work of its kind in the world.
The D-Day Story is full of personal stories of courage and determination, comradeship and sacrifice, secrecy and deception, innovation and tactics. It is a story in which ordinary people worked together to achieve an extraordinary outcome, exemplifying ‘the epic made personal; the personal made epic’.
Portsmouth Visitor Information Service is located in the museum. The museum’s shop sells a range of items relating to the Second World War.
Please note - museum staff reserve the right to search bags and all visitors must agree to this as a condition of entry to the museum.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Induction Loop System
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Wheelchair user accessible
Audio Commentary in Foreign Languages
- French audio guide
- German audio guide
- Spanish audio guide
- Cafe - April - Sept
- Catering for groups - with prior booking with the cafe.
- On-Site cafe/restaurant
- Picnic area - on communal parkland
- Picnic Site
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Audio Commentary in Foreign Languages - For the Overlord Embroidery only (English/French/ Dutch/Spanish/German)
- Event Venue
- Groups by arrangement - Tours of D-Day Museum and / or Overlord Embroidery available by arrangement for pre-booked groups (fee applies).
- Groups welcome
- Open all year round
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- On site parking close by - Fees apply
- Parking (charge)
- Railway station within 5 miles
- Approx length of visit - 1.5 - 2 hours
- Delta accepted
- Groups Accepted - Please download our Group Travel Guide for more information.
- Maestro Accepted
- Min group size - 15, to qualify for group rates.
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - For groups only. Extra charge, available on application.
- Special group rates - Adult: £5.50 Senior: £4.50 Child: £4.00
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Most suitable for Key Stages 2 & 3. Tours of D-Day Museum and / or Overlord Embroidery available by arrangement, for pre-booked groups (fee applies).
Map & Directions
M27 or A3(M) to M275 to Esplanade.
If you require any information for your visit, please contact the museum directly.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest stations are Portsmouth & Southsea or Portsmouth Harbour.
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020
|Winter opening (1 Oct 2020 - 31 Mar 2021)|
|Summer opening (30 Mar 2021 - 30 Sept 2021)|