A warm welcome awaits you from experienced hotelier, Gillian Webb, at this newly opened centrally located B&B Guest House. This elegant Georgian Grade II listed building in historic Bellevue Terrace has been extensively refurbished to offer modern comforts whilst preserving its traditional style. Each guest bedroom is light and airy, tastefully furnished either with a king-sized bed or twin beds, with Egyptian linen, free view TVs, beverage trays, and free Wi-Fi internet access - and, of course, all offer en suite facilities. A hearty breakfast to your choice is included in the price and will be served in The Pier’s breakfast room. The Pier also has a guest lounge. If you arrive by car free parking will be available.
Our Central location
The Pier is just the place to be! Whether it’s a base for exploring historic Portsmouth or a convenient base for business, a holiday or a family visit you should find our location convenient.
We are located in the heart of Southsea, Portsmouth's seaside resort. Portsmouth is now the new 'Waterfront City' through Portsmouth City Council having spent millions of pounds to regenerate Portsmouth and Southsea. At your doorstep you’ll find:
● Local Cafes and Restaurants
● Seafront with D-Day Museum, with the Overlord Embroidery
● Southsea Castle
● Clarence Pier
● Isle of Wight Hovercraft
● Bus stops for convenient bus routes
... and it’s less than 10 minutes easy walk to:
● Gunwharf Quays with its designer shopping, cinema, and luxury living at the water's edge
● Historic Naval Dockyard, with Nelson’s Flagship
● University Campus
● Portsmouth City Centre
● Pubs and restaurants in historic Old Portsmouth
● Theatre, pubs, nightlife and restaurants in Southsea
You could follow the Millennium Walk which extends to Gunwharf Quays from Southsea seafront and which is marked on the pavement, and is lined by blue street lanterns. For the more energetic, there are a number of miniature golf courses, a skateboard park, public grass and clay tennis courts and three beach volleyball courts.
Other seaside attractions
Southsea has two piers: South Parade Pier and Clarence Pier; both house amusement arcades. South Parade Pier also contains a ballroom and a bar area. . Clarence Pier is adjacent to a permanent funfair. Four large forts out to sea were created in the 1860s to fortify the city against the threat of invasion. They were part of defences which included land-based forts all around the city but as they were never used in action, they became known as Palmerston’s Folly, after the Prime Minister who initiated them.
The Blue Reef Aquarium is also situated on the seafront. Cumberland House is a natural history museum, butterfly house and aquarium located close to Canoe Lake just off Southsea seafront. Close by is Southsea Model Village and Southsea Rose Garden. Canoe Lake is topped up from the sea by opening a sluice at high tide. Crabs and fish find their way in, and attract children fishing with a piece of bacon on a string. In summer pedalos can be rented on the lake. Throughout the summer, there are regular open air concerts and events at the bandstand and on Castle Field. Towards the eastern end of the seafront is the Royal Marines Museum. The Kings Theatre hosts a variety of performances, including productions by the local amateur group the Southsea Shakespeare Actors.
In 1544 Henry VIII built the fort which became known as Southsea Castle. Although it would not have been called that at the time it is recorded as "Southsea Castle" in a map of 1724. In 1809 a new suburb of Portsmouth began to grow which became known as Southsea after the castle. The first houses were built for skilled workers but these were the most bombed areas of Portsmouth in WWII. Around 1810, The Pier’s street, Bellevue Terrace, was established adjacent to the town walls. Nowadays it is part of an almost continuous road between the City Centre and the beach. The Pier is named after the former Royal Pier Hotel which was close to our present location. And bringing our history up to date The Pier, has been totally refurbished for the 2012 season
The Pier, offers five en suite guest rooms: Four double rooms with king sized beds and one twin bedded room. Each room has a freeview digital TV, free Wi-Fi, hospitality tray and boudoir dressing room lights. Visit our web site www.pier-hotel.com for pictures and more information of our rooms.
A full hearty breakfast is included - and we can cater for special diets given advance notice. Our home cooked breakfast will be local where possible, with homemade yogurt along with fresh fruit, croissants, along with fresh coffee, Indian or China teas, linen napkins and fine porcelain.
The Pier is non-smoking throughout. There is ample local on-street parking and we offer free overnight parking permits subject to a returnable deposit. We regret we have no facilities for young children and under 14's are not accepted or pets. The Pier is a Grade II listed building and could not be readily modified for wheelchair users. We should be pleased to discuss any accessibility concerns you might have.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double En-suite (Single Occupancy, High Season)||£85.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|Double En-suite (Single Occupancy, Low Season)||£80.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|Double En-suite (Two Guests, High Season)||£90.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|Double En-Suite (Two Guests, Low Season)||£80.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|Twin En-suite (High Season)||£90.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|Twin En-suite (Low Season)||£80.00 per room per night (room only)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Cater for vegetarians - Subject to prior arrangements
- Serve breakfast
- Special diets catered for - Subject to prior arrangements.
- Adults only
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem) - "Fax via email" facilities.
- Central heating throughout
- Ironing facilities
- LGBT Friendly
- Open Christmas
- Open New Year
- Separate guests' lounge
- Wireless Internet Access
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- Free parking
- Off site parking
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- Euros accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro Accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- In town/city centre
- Non smoking establishment
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Room / Unit Features
- Broadband - Free Wifi
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms - Available in all rooms.
- Ironing facilities in most rooms - Ironing facilities available on request.
- Non smoking rooms available
- Radio in all bedrooms - Via Freeview TVs
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good45
- BillyCaspersingoalDERBYSo far so goodSunday, 4th October 2020For the last eight years we have been using The Pier as a stop over for our annual trip to the Isle of Wight, and have always found it very well run, and spotlessly clean with convenient free parking... Read full review
- angelahigby1Palma de Mallorca, SpainOne night stay at The PierThursday, 29th October 2020Enjoyed a one night stay at The Pier this week after an afternoon spent at a Spa Hotel near Portsmouth. It's been a couple of years since the last stay and happy to see that Gill has handed over the... Read full review
- karaoke512kentTrip Type:FamilyAmazing!Monday, 25th January 2021I booked this B&B last minute for a getaway with my older son. Rahul informed me he was the new owner but wasn’t open at that time. After a lovely chat I went off to find something else whilst... Read full review