Guided Walks & Talks
Packed with centuries of history, dazzling architecture and famous points of interest, Portsmouth is the perfect place to discover by foot or on a coach with one of our expert guides from Portsmouth Tourism Guiding Service.
We have a programme of guided walks and talks covering everything from Portsmouth's involvement in the D-Day landings to the Pubs of Old Portsmouth.
Don't miss our spook-tacular evening ghost walks that run during the summer, uncovering the dark side of Portsmouth's history.
For a full listing of all upcoming guided walks and talks, check out our guide below.
Private Guided Walks & Talks
Do you below to a local group or society? Do you wish to learn more about Portsmouth and its history?
Portsmouth Guiding Service offers exclusive walks which can be tailored to meet the individual requirements and interests of your group. At just £38 for up to 25 people, this is a great way to explore Portsmouth's rich history.
Here are some of our favourite walks;
- Spice Island - Discover the story The Point (also known as Spice Island), named for its importance as a major port importing exotic spices from around the world. It’s here that the city sprung to life, and the perfect starting point to uncover the history of Portsmouth. We recommend this walk for visitors that are looking for a general introduction to the city and its history.
- Nelson Trail - Follow the last steps of Admiral Horatio Nelson, uncovering the places and buildings that Nelson would have passed through and visited before he boarded HMS Victory. Team this walk with a visit to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and learn about life on-board Nelson's Victory.
- The Birthplace of Dickens - Born in Portsmouth on 7th February 1812, Charles Dickens is one of the city's most famous inhabitants. On this guided walk you'll discover the story of Charles' family and some of the places that may have influenced his later works. Whilst this walk doesn't include a visit to the Charles Dickens' Birthplace Museum, you may want to organise a separate visit for the full literary experience - however, check opening times beforehand as it's not a year-round attraction.
- Dockyard to Old Portsmouth - This walk embraces both old and new aspects of the city. Starting at the entrance to the Historic Dockyard, the walk goes through Gunwharf Quays - Portsmouth's vibrant waterfront area - which once stored cannons, ammunition and other armaments and later became HMS Vernon.
End in Old Portsmouth, once known as Spice Island, and discover the city's old defences and its many historical buildings and features.
- Portsmouth and D-Day - On 6th June, 1944 allied forces landed on the beaches of Normandy signalling the beginning of the end of World War 2. This walk will explain how Portsmouth played an important part in lead up to D-Day. Make sure you don't miss out on the D-Day Museum in Southsea.
A private guided walk for up to 25 people begins from just £38. Contact us to discuss your own guided walk, talk or tour.
Guided Walk Gift Vouchers
Are you looking for a unique gift for your friends or family? A guided walk gift voucher is the perfect present for the history-buff in your life. Invite up to 20 friends on a guided walk of choice.
Number of results:
Number of results: 1
The legendary Manor House of Wymering has dominated the ghost stories of Portsmouth for generations. You will hear tales inspired by the history of the house and see for yourselves why this house has become legendary.