Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
Barely was the work completed when Henry VIII's flagship, the Mary Rose, tragically sank in front of the Castle. During the English Civil War, nearly a century later, the Castle was captured for the only time in its history, by Parliamentarian forces.
Over the centuries, Southsea Castle's defences were strengthened so that it could continue to protect Portsmouth. In the 19th Century a tunnel was built to defend the Castle moat. Visitors can still enter the tunnel and see how the Castle would have been defended against invaders. Artillery, gun platforms and panoramic views from the top of the keep to the Isle of Wight and Solent.
Use the weblink above to access the Museums website for full information.
Please note that on the occassion of a wedding at Southsea Castle, parts of the castle may be inaccessable to members of the public. To check if there is an event or wedding taking place in the castle, please contact Southsea Castle using the contact details provided.
*** Saturday 4th April 2015 *** Due to a wedding, parts of Southsea castle will not be available to members of the public from 2pm.
- In town/city centre
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Audio visual display available
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Available in nearby D-Day museum car park
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking - Adjacent at the D-Day Museum
- On site parking - Adjacent at the D-Day Museum
- On site parking close by
- Railway station within 5 miles
- On-Site cafe/restaurant
- Picnic Site - on communal parkland
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- Groups welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Most suitable for Key Stages 1, 2 and 3. 'Tudor Experience' sessions available.
- Out of Hours Visits
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
Map & Directions
M27 to M275 to seafront.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest stations are Portsmouth & Southsea or Portsmouth Harbour.
|Open New Year|
|2015 Opening Hours (31/03/2015 - 03/11/2015)|
* Open 10am - 5pm, Tuesday to Sunday + Bank Holiday Mondays.
Closed New Year's Day